Next line of business...PEPPERMINT! Since pumpkin was the star of the show during November I figured it was only fair to followup up December with another great "P" ingredient, Peppermint! I enjoyed making pumpkin whoopie pies so much that I wanted to tackle this delectable sandwich cookie once again and make some Chocolate & Peppermint Whoopie Pies! I think I'm in love! Look out York Peppermint Patties there's a new Mint treat in town!
You really can't go wrong with anything from Bakerella's site so I decided to give the chocolate whoopies a whirl! Chocolate and peppermint are a perfect combo so I whipped up a batch of peppermint buttercream for the filling to create this delicious holiday treat! A little sprinkle of crushed candy canes on the edges, jazzes up these sweet little cookies!
Classic Chocolate Whoopie
adapted from Whoopie Pies (I used granulated sugar instead of dark brown sugar...everything else is the same)
-1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
-2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
-4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
-1 cup granulated sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together, flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat butter, shortening and sugar with a mixer on low until just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for about 3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat for two more minutes.
- Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk and beat on low until incorporated. Repeat with remaining flour and milk and beat until combined.
- Using a tablespoon, drop batter on baking sheet two inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes each or until pies spring back when pressed gently.
- Remove from oven and cool for about five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
-1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
-4 cups confectioner's sugar
-1/4 cup milk
-1 teaspoon peppermint extract
-6 candy canes, crushed for garnish
- In bowl of electric mixer cream butter on medium speed.
- Gradually add confectioner's sugar and milk and mix well.
- Mix in peppermint extract.
- Place peppermint buttercream in plastic bag and pipe a dollop on flat side of cookie. Sandwich together with another cookie.
- Sprinkle filling with crushed candy canes!