Chocolate Pumpkin Cake (makes one 3-layer cake)
-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 cup granulated sugar
-1 cup dark brown sugar
-3/4 cup cocoa powder
-1 1/2 tsp baking soda
-2 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-2 tsp cinnamon
-1 1/2 cups buttermilk
-1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
-1 cup vegetable oil
-1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare three 8" cake pans lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients: flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and mix together.
- In a medium bowl combine all wet ingredients: buttermilk, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and beat with mixer on medium speed just until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes then move to wire racks to continue cooling.
- While cakes are cooling you can prepare the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.
-12 oz cream cheese, softened
-1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
-6 cups confectioner's sugar
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-orange food coloring
- Mix cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Gradually add in confectioner's sugar one cup at a time and continue to mix.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Add in orange food coloring and mix until you reach your desired shade of orange.
- Once cake has cooled, ice your cake with cream cheese frosting and then place cake in refrigerator for about 20 minutes so icing will set up.
- Prepare the Chocolate Ganache while you wait.
-1 cup heavy cream
-8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a small sauce pan heat heavy cream over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Remove cream from heat and pour over chocolate chips.
- Gently stir cream and chocolate chips so chocolate begins to melt.
- Let mixture sit 5 minutes and then stir. Mixture will begin to thicken as it sits.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and pour Chocolate Ganache overtop of the cake and gently push it over the sides using an offset spatula so that it drizzles down.