Sunday, September 19, 2010

Peanut Butter Granola Bars

Here's one of my favorite super simple and very yummy granola bar recipes that makes the perfect snack after a long run! I made these for my marathon team a few weeks ago after they ran their 20 mile training run. Loaded with oats, peanut butter and almonds they are a great source of getting carbs and protein back into the body quickly after burning so many calories.

My sister first told me about this recipe when a co-worker made them for her. The recipe is from Giada of the Food Network, my all time favorite chef so I just knew they were going to be amazing! These bake up to be a pretty soft and chewy granola bar and they definitely don't last long at my house.

Peanut Butter Granola Bars (Giada DeLaurentiis)

Ingredients:
-vegetable cooking spray
-1 egg white
-1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
-1/3 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup honey
-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
-2 cups old fashioned oats
-1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, *see cook's note
-1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips

  • Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Spray a 9 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray. Lay parchment paper in the pan, allowing the excess paper to hang over the sides. Spray the parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.
  • In a medium bowl, using a hand beater, beat the egg white until frothy. Stir in the peanut butter, brown sugar and honey. Add the melted butter, oats and almonds. Stir to combine, then add the chocolate chips.
  • Using a rubber spatula, spread mixture into the prepared baking pan, pressing lightly to form an even layer. Bake until the edge of the mixture begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares and serve.
  • *Cook's Note: To toast almonds, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
After trying this recipe I guarantee you will no longer want to buy store bought granola bars!

3 comments:

  1. They sound fantastic..except to eat them I have to go for a marathon run! I'm partly kidding..I think I would be able to manage eating them any time :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing. I love granola bars. And with PEANUT-BUTTER?! What could be better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails