Friday, September 24, 2010

Cupcake a Week: Cute as a Button Cupcake Skewers

I have been dying to share my latest cupcake creation with you all! I actually submitted this into a "cupcake skewer" contest over at Pizzazzerie. It seems the latest trend to be popping up on dessert tables are the cupcake skewers. Take a mini cupcake, add it to a stick with a little decoration on top and you have yourself a pretty unique dessert display!

So here's where my "cute as a button" design inspiration came to be for my cupcakes skewers. You may remember The Big Reveal twin's gender party and the Cowboy Cake I recently made for my friend Kelly's baby shower. Well on September 1st the cutest pair of twin baby boys I have ever seen were born! So I thought it was only fitting to welcome these babies into the world with yet another sweet treat! I went to visit Kelly and the babies this week and took this cupcake skewer bouquet. So I bet you're wondering if I got some pics of the littles ones...of course I did. So let me introduce you to....

Mack & Miles Morgan

Aren't they absolutely precious! Kelly said she tries to keep them positioned alphabetically to make it easier, so Mack is on the left and Miles is on the right!

Mack's the tiny one! He was sleeping when I got there, but soon woke up so I could hold him.

And Miles was just hanging out, looking around, sweet as can be while his little brother napped. I can't wait to go back and spend more time with these little guys!

Since I had a blast creating the "cute as a button" cupcake skewers I've put together a step-by-step photo tutorial on how to make the fondant buttons in case you want to make one of your own. Its super easy!

Roll out fondant in your favorite colors


Using these 3 decorating tips you can make both a large & small size button:
Ateco 806 (or Wilton 1A...just a large round tip)
Wilton #3
Wilton #12

Use the bottom of tip 806 and cut out round circles for the large button

Take the bottom of tip 12 and gently press into the center of your larger circle to create a smaller circle in the center

This is the result

Use tip 3 and flip it upside down to create 2 tiny holes inside of the center circle
Button # 1 is complete...easy enough right?

To make a smaller button, cut circles using the bottom of tip 3

Flip tip 3 over again and make 4 tiny holes in the small button
And that's all there is to making small & large fondant buttons

Then just go to town making more buttons in multiple colors
and there you have your super "cute as a button" cupcake toppers

I created a super easy and simple DIY canister to place the skewers in. Using a recycled can I added 2 strips of construction paper around the center in different colors, one slightly wider than the other. I used a black marker to write "cute as a" and then glued on a fondant button. That's all there is too it. Throw a little shredded paper inside for some extra color and to help hold the skewers in place.

Be sure to stop back by next week when I'll show you "how to assemble a cupcake skewer".

Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. So adorable! No wonder you were dying to share them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cute cute!!! i'm so glad you entered the contest as well! and i love that you shared the "how-to" with your readers. very clever using the piping tips!! (i'll be sharing on my fb fan page)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/pnpflowers

    Thanks again for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Button are super cute, but those Babies have them topped - lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable idea! I entered the Cupcake Skewer contest too...love all the creations it has inspired from fellow bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely cute as a button. These little cake are perfect. I love pretty much anythign that comes on a stick..... Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this is crazy cute! What is it about buttons? Cute cute cute! And the container is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute Lauren! They are exactly what they are...cute as a button! :)
    And I have to say the twins are adorable. I remember when my twin girls were that size and now they will be three in a few months. Sniff, sniff!
    Thanks Lauren for sharing these they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's adorable. I would've never thought to use the tips like that! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cupcakes are seriously adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable cupcakes! So are the babies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Genius! I love the buttons and the babies, ah the babies. I'm a sucker for both!

    Kisses from the WhipperChicks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails