Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cupcake a Week: Sprinkles Inspired

This weeks cupcake is one of my favorites yet...its all about the simple look with a touch of color inspired by the fabulous Sprinkles Cupcakes. The signature of Sprinkles cupcakes is marked by their two-tone circle sprinkles that garnish the tops of these sweet little cakes that are color coded by flavors...what a brilliant idea!

If you have never heard of Sprinkles Cupcakes then you need to drop everything you are doing and head over to their site NOW! Just one look at this website and I was completely in LOVE with cupcakes and have been dreaming of opening my own cupcake bakery ever since I first laid eyes on these sweet little cakes. Candace Nelson is the founder of Sprinkles, the original cupcake bakery in Beverly Hills, and also now one of the main judges on Cupcake Wars on the Food Network.

Although I have never had the pleasure of sinking my teeth into a Sprinkles cupcake I am pretty sure they probably taste as delicious as they look. I am completely in awe of their website and find myself just stopping by to look around quite frequently to check out their latest seasonal flavors. Their cupcakes are beautiful, their flavors sound amazing, their packaging is adorable and the look and feel of their shop is stunning. One day I will walk through the doors of a Sprinkles Cupcake bakery and order at least a dozen of their cupcakes there are so many amazing flavors I am dying to try. The peanut butter chip, cinnamon sugar, red velvet, strawberry and vanilla milk chocolate are at the top of my list!

So since I am hundreds of miles away from Sprinkles in CA and don't see myself getting out there anytime soon, I figured I would make my own version of these cupcakes by using some tinted fondant. One of the girls on Team in Training (TNT) that I am coaching asked me to make her some cupcakes for a fundraiser so I thought this would be the perfect occasion to showcase the TNT colors of purple & green as a simple cupcake decoration.

So if you want to make your own Sprinkles cupcake toppers it's as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Tint some white fondant in your favorite colors.
2.Roll out fondant and cut circles in 2 different sizes using circle cutters or the ends of piping tips.
3.Place the smaller fondant circle on top of the larger fondant circle and place on top of your iced cupcakes!


Happy cupcake baking & decorating!

3 comments:

  1. That icing looks so good. I just popped over to their website because I haven't heard of it...and wow you're totally right. It fuels my dream to open my own bakery too :D They have such a wide range of flavours...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're very pretty! Wish I had one now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable!

    I have never been to sprinkles, but I make it a point to stop at cupcake shops whenever I travel!! I also dream of opening up a cupcake shop...wouldn't that be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails