Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Countdown to Christmas Day 23: Sour Cream Cake


Happy Dec 23rd! I just arrived back home in KY only a few hours ago for Christmas and have already accomplished so many things in such a short amount of time, one of which included baking this oh so yummy Sour Cream Cake! But before I baked this cake, I visited my friend Andrea and her newborn baby Drew, went to the Hofbrahaus which is a German beer garden so my husband could get some beer...this is his absolute favorite place in KY, then off to the Montgomery Inn Boathouse on the Ohio River in Cincinnati for a plate full of the best BBQ ribs for dinner! Then it was time to get down and dirty and get this cake made! This is one of my absolute favorite cakes because it is so moist yet the bottom of the cake has a crispy yet gooeyness to the crust...that is the BEST part! Today's baking adventure was fun because I got to bake with my mom in her kitchen! Well I guess she ended up doing most of the mixing of the ingredients with her hand held mixer...I'm a wimp when it comes to mixing by hand because I have a KitchenAid Standmixer that does all the hard work for me!


Here's a picture of me and my mom! She is mixing away and I'm sitting back relaxing!


Great job mom...this cake batter looks pretty tasty!


Sour cream cake is ready to enter oven in greased and floured bundt pan.


The cake is done! Look at how nice and fluffy the bottom of the cake baked up! This is my favorite part I was telling you about. Just look at the golden brown crispy edges that are cracked with the ooey gooey center peaking through. I can't wait to sink my teeth into a piece of this! Too bad I'll have to wait until tomorrow night...this cake is going with us to my grandparents house for Christmas Eve! This cake is a traditional dessert every year and I always have to eat at least two pieces, I just can't help myself!


Once the cake has cooled in pan for a few minutes, invert onto serving plate.


Sour Cream Cake

Ingredients

3 cups flour
3 cups sugar
6 eggs beaten separately
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 pint sour cream

  • Cream butter until soft, add sugar gradually.
  • Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each one is added.
  • Add sour cream, flour and baking soda.
  • Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold into dough with spatula.
  • Grease and flour 10-inch bundt pan. Pour dough in pan.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.
  • Let cake sit in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails