Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Cake of FIRSTS...

This weekend I made a Baby Shower cake for my friend Jennifer who was hosting a shower for her friend Amy. I was super excited and nervous to bake this cake! This was the first time I was baking a cake and I didn't know the person I was making the cake for so I was feeling some pressure and wanted everything to turn out just right! I packed up my baking supplies and headed to Jennifer's house to bake in the BEST KITCHEN ever! She has tons of counter top space and they are all granite so this was a fabulous kitchen to bake in!

So let's recap...

1.This was the FIRST time I have ever baked a cake for someone I didn't know

2.This was the FIRST time I have ever baked a cake in a kitchen that wasn't mine

3.This was the FIRST time I had ever doubled this cake recipe, Yellow Butter Cake from Martha Stewart (so yummy)....I was nervous about the cake coming out of the pan nice and clean, but as you can see from the photo above, everything came out perfect!


4.This was the FIRST time I used fondant...I actually colored it myself as well!

Jennifer told me this cake was for a girl baby shower and she wanted to go with a pink & yellow theme. She was going to make some sugar cookies in the shape of baby carriages dipped in pink icing and piped with white details, so I figured I would also use the baby carriage theme for the cake decorations and then add some pink & yellow polka dots.



So here is my FIRST fondant creation...a pink baby carriage!

Pink & yellow polka dots added for extra cuteness!

And one last final touch, the white piping for the carriage details! This is it, my final cake of FIRSTS! I just got a call from Jennifer a little while ago...the shower was today and she wanted to call and let me know how much everyone, especially Amy, the mother to be enjoyed the cake at the shower today! I am so glad everything turned out well with this cake!

This cake was super fun to make and I am looking forward to my next baking adventure...which will be my friend Andrea's baby shower next weekend. I plan on making cupcakes with a boy theme...I have a really cute theme in mind for decorating so you will have to check back next weekend and see how they turn out!

1 comment:

  1. It was such a beautiful cake-- and delicious, too! Thank you so much for taking the time to bake and decorate such a special treat for a total stranger! I'm sure the cupcakes next weekend will be wonderful!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails