Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream

I am loving this gorgeous spring weather we are having here in Mobile...it's almost on the verge of summer and it's only March! There is nothing that goes better with these warm temperatures and bright sunshine than some fresh berries! I found some gigantic strawberries this weekend at the store, I mean huge....like 4 berries combined to make 1 monster berry! Although these berries are perfectly delicious and sweet all on their own I knew they would be even better made into some Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream swirled on top.

These cupcakes pack a triple punch of strawberry. There is fresh strawberry puree in the batter and in the buttercream. And for a special touch and a slight hint of pick in the frosting I added some strawberry extract which really enhances the flavor! These cupcakes are light and moist and truly the perfect treat for an afternoon spent with friends.


I just got some fun decorating tools from Layer Cake Shop a few days ago so I was excited to try them out on the cupcakes. Since a girl can't have enough piping tips, I bought the French decorating tip for piping on the frosting and the Daisy Flower Plunger to make these adorable little fondant toppers. If you have never been to the Layer Cake Shop site, go check them out now for all kinds of amazing baking products! Their cupcake liners and sprinkle selection comes in every color imaginable...I'll take 1 of each please!


Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredients
For the cupcakes:
-3/4 cup cake flour
-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 stick unsalted butter, softened
-1 cup granulated sugar
-3 eggs (1 whole, 2 whites stiffly beaten)
-1/4 cup milk
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 cup fresh strawberries, pureed (1/3 cup puree for cupcakes, 3 Tbsp for buttercream)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
  • In medium bowl combine flours, baking powder and salt.
  • In bowl of electric mixer beat butter and sugar on medium speed until creamy.
  • Add 1 egg and beat until combined.
  • Combine milk, vanilla and strawberry puree in small bowl.
  • Gradually add in flour mixture and strawberry mixture alternately, scraping down bowl after each addition.
  • In a small bowl beat 2 egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into cupcake batter.
  • Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans about 2/3 full.
  • Bake for 16-18 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool on wire racks.
  • Frost with Strawberry Buttercream.
Strawberry Buttercream
-2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
-4 cups confectioners' sugar
-3 Tbsp strawberry puree
-1/2 tsp strawberry extract
  • In bowl of electric mixer beat butter until creamy.
  • Gradually add confectioners' sugar and continue to mix.
  • Add strawberry puree and strawberry extract and mix well.
  • Transfer icing to piping bag fitted with French decorating tip and swirl onto cupcakes.
Wishing you all a sweet spring!

6 comments:

  1. These are so pretty Lauren! My little ones would love these. Anything with "pink" frosting is their new favorite. :)
    Hope your doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I love the piping and the double liner for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, you are my favorite person today! I have been looking for a good recipe for strawberry buttercream icing. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop it, those look delicious! I wish I could make my cupcakes look that gorgeous though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious Lauren! I just love when spring arrives and the strawberries start to look good again! Alone, they are one of my favorite desserts - so I'm sure these cupcakes would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails